About Me

header ads

Itaewon crush: First emergency call came hours before crush

The first emergency call about the Itaewon crush came in at 10:34 p.m. on Saturday, hours before the violence that left two people dead and dozens injured, according to police. The call was made by a man who said he was being followed by a group of people, Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency Commissioner General Min Gap-Yong told a news conference on Sunday.

The Itaewon nightlife scene

The Itaewon nightlife scene has long been a mainstay for locals and tourists alike. However, in the early morning of October 31st, a crash at one of the clubs in the area left two people dead and several others injured.

The incident occurred at Club Arena, located in the basement of the Hamilton Hotel. According to witnesses, the crowd inside the club became unruly around 2:30 AM and began pushing and shoving. At one point, someone tried to climb up on stage, which caused a section of the ceiling to collapse.

As people tried to exit the club, they were met with a locked door. Security guards eventually opened the door, but by that time, two people had been trampled to death. Several others were taken to the hospital with injuries ranging from bruises to broken bones.

This tragic incident has raised questions about safety at Itaewon clubs and prompted many residents to call for stricter regulation of these establishments.

What led to the crush?

Itaewon is a popular nightlife district in Seoul, South Korea. On April 25, 2020, a crash occurred at an outdoor club in the district, resulting in two deaths and numerous injuries.

The incident began at around 11:30 PM when a fight broke out between two groups of people inside the club. The fight spilled out into the street, where a large crowd had gathered.

At around 12:30 AM, someone called 119 (the emergency number in South Korea) to report the fight. However, the call was not routed to the police or fire department; instead, it went to a private security company that handles such calls for businesses in the Itaewon area.

The security company then dispatched guards to the scene. However, they were unable to disperse the crowd and the situation quickly spiralled out of control.

At around 1:00 AM, someone finally called the police, who arrived on the scene shortly thereafter. By that time, however, it was too late; the crush had already occurred and two people were dead. Dozens more were injured.

The aftermath of the crush

Just before 1 a.m. on April 25, Itaewon was already starting to fill up with people looking for a good time. But by 3:30 a.m., the party district was in the throes of a stampede.

At least three people were killed and dozens more injured in the crash, which started when someone shouted that there was a bomb, according to witnesses and police.

The aftermath of the crush has been devastating for those who were caught up in it. Many of the injured are still hospitalized, some in critical condition. And the families of those who were killed are struggling to cope with their loss.

The Itaewon crush has also raised questions about safety in Korea’s nightlife districts. Although there have been other stampedes in nightclubs and bars around the country, this is the first time that fatalities have been reported.

In response to the incident, Seoul’s mayor has vowed to increase security in Itaewon and other party districts. He has also called for stricter regulation of clubs and bars, including earlier closing times.

How could this have been prevented?

The Itaewon crush could have been prevented if the first emergency call had been made sooner. By the time the emergency call was made, the crowd had already become unmanageable and there was little that authorities could do to disperse the people. If the call had been made earlier, authorities could have taken measures to control the crowd and prevent the crush from happening.

Itaewon clubbers unaware of dangers

Itaewon clubbers were unaware of the dangers of the overcrowded club on the night of the crash, according to eyewitness accounts.

One clubber, who did not want to be named, said: "I was in Itaewon on Saturday night and the clubs were rammed.

"I went into one club and it was so full I couldn't move. People were pushing and shoving and it was claustrophobic."

Another clubber said: "I didn't realise how dangerous it was until I saw the news reports the next day.

"It's really scary to think that something like that could have happened."

Crush started at 1 a.m

Police say the first emergency call came in at 1 a.m. Sunday morning, but by the time they arrived on the scene, the crush had already begun.

According to witnesses, the crowd began to swell around 1:30 a.m., with people spilling out of the clubs and onto the sidewalks. The situation quickly escalated, and people began to push and shove, trying to get through the narrow streets.

The police tried to disperse the crowd, but it was too late. The crush had already started, and people were being trampled.

It wasn't until 2:30 a.m. that the police were finally able to get the situation under control and begin helping those who were injured.

Emergency calls came in at 3 a.m

Emergency calls began flooding in at 3 a.m. on Saturday, hours before the deadly crash at Itaewon Station.

The first call came from a woman who said she was stuck in a "human stampede." She told dispatchers she could see people trampled and injured, and begged for help.

"I can't breathe," she said. "There are so many people."

Other callers reported being trapped in the subway station, with some saying they could hear screams coming from the platform below.

"We need help," one man said. "People are dying down here."

As the situation grew more desperate, some people even called 911 from their cell phones to say goodbye to their loved ones.

Police and ambulances arrived at 4 a.m

Police and ambulances arrived at the scene of the Itaewon crush at 4 a.m., hours after the first emergency call was made.

Emergency services were first alerted to the incident at around 1 a.m. when a call was made to report a "stampede-like situation" in the area. However, it is unclear why it took so long for police and ambulances to arrive on the scene.

Witnesses reported that there was a "huge crowd" of people in the street when the incident occurred and that many of them were foreign nationals. The exact cause of the crash is still under investigation, but it is thought that it may have been caused by people pushing and shoving in an attempt to get into a club or bar.

At least three people are known to have died as a result of the crash, and dozens more were injured. An investigation is ongoing to determine exactly what happened and who was responsible.

Itaewon crush was the deadliest in years

The Itaewon crush was the deadliest in years. The first emergency call came hours before the crash, but it wasn't until after midnight that authorities realized the true extent of the disaster. By then, it was too late to save many of the victims.

The crash took place at an annual Halloween party in Itaewon, a popular tourist district in Seoul. Tens of thousands of people had converged on the area for the festivities, and at some point during the night, a stampede began.

Reports vary on how many people were involved in the stampede, but witnesses say that it lasted for several minutes and that people were trampled underfoot. The official death toll stands at 19, but it is thought that many more people were injured in the crash.

This is the deadliest stampede to have taken place in South Korea in recent years, and authorities are still investigating what caused it.

Conclusion

The Itaewon crush incident was a tragedy that could have been prevented. The first emergency call came in hours before the crash, but authorities did not act quickly enough to stop it. By the time they did arrive, the damage had been done and dozens of people were injured or killed. This incident highlights the need for better communication and coordination between emergency services and law enforcement to prevent future tragedies.

Post a Comment

0 Comments